https://twitter.com/lydiaintraining       Instagram      Pinterest      Google+      Email






Sunday 4 October 2015

MONTHLY LOVES: September

September is over, and it's strange to think that this time a month ago I wasn't even back at college yet. Now I've fully started my A-Level courses and I've applied to uni. It's safe to say that the start of A2 has been much more stressful than the beginning of AS; a lot can change in a year. September is never a particularly fun month because the academic year takes a little getting used to and the weather is so temperamental. That said, it's been rather eventful with the 18th birthday of my best friend and my sister moving to Spain, and I have a few monthly loves:

PURCHASES 
While my mum (Mare) and sister (H) were browsing apartments in Spain, my dad and I (Will) spent some quality time playing squash and shopping so that I could pick up some new A/W clothes before the start of college. Side note: how nice are Topshop Meadowhall's new fitting rooms? Very snazzy, however the lighting is still as unflattering as before, unfortunately. Will replaced my grey cropped sweater from last year which he shrunk in the wash, and I picked up a leather skirt with pockets (I am loving the pockets), a checked biker skirt and a pair of flat Chelsea boots, from Topshop. I later found out that I bought the wrong size boots as they were on the wrong hanger, but I'm still wearing them because I don't want to waste the £40.

(Outfit post to come,)
FOOD
This week I tried out the Bakedin mug brownies. I wasn't sure what to expect after years of failed cakes in mugs made from scratch, and I was very pleasantly surprised by how good they were. They took no more than 10 minutes to make (including the 5 mins cooling time); all I had to do was melt some butter in the microwave in the mug then stir in the mixture and a little water. After 45 seconds in the microwave (mine is 1000W so takes less time) they were ready. The little chocolate chunks had melted, the brownie was spongy, and my kitchen was clean, which is extremely rare after I have baked. Actually, it's unheard of. All in all: a pretty good brownie. Not as good as my mum's homemade recipe, and they probably need a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of cream, but it's a fab idea to have a kit in your cupboard for sudden cravings, or to give as a quirky gift.
The box comes with 4 pots of powder brownie mix and easy-to-follow instructions.
Ft. my favourite mug
MUSIC
For the past few months I have been listening to How Deep Is Your Love (Calvin Harris & Disciples - not the Bee Gees), so for once a song I actually know and like has been played on a night out. My song for the summer was also Cool for the Summer and, since cutting my hair cut short, I have been trying to do Demi Lovato-level hair flips in my mirror. It's just that kinda song.

BOOKS
I read it a few months ago, but it deserves a mention, so Funny Girl by Nick Hornby is my book of the month/summer. Set in 1960s London, the novel follows a TV comedy actress, Barbara from Blackpool, as she makes it big. She's an endearing character and I was quick to love her sense of humour and drive for success. I found the sixties setting exciting and I would definitely time-travel to that era if I could, but the difference in attitudes to gender was evident throughout the novel. The constant sexualisation of Barbara and the frequent comments on her looks and body, rather than on her talents, subtly reminds us of how women were treated only 50 years ago. This was my first Hornby so I can't compare it to any of his other books, but if you want a funny, easy read, I would recommend this.

September's reading included Woolf's A Room of One's Own and various works of Franza Kafka. Having never read any Kafka before, I was surprised and intrigued by his, well, just plain strange stories. I can't think of a similar writing style that I have read and his use of symbolism to comment subtly on human nature and societal attitudes in The Metamorphosis was clever and I was quickly drawn in. I was also quickly confused.



Summer is well and truly over, the year has officially begun and this year will not be an easy one but, for now, I think I'll try to come up with a good Halloween costume idea. Time to get thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment