https://twitter.com/lydiaintraining       Instagram      Pinterest      Google+      Email






Tuesday 22 April 2014

Go H, it's yer birthday, gotta shake yer butty like it's yer birthday

Due to my having more chemistry with my science revision guides than I do with another person, and also my having exams in less than a month, this week has mainly been revising. As a fake birthday celebration for my sister, H, (as she will be at uni when it is her birthday) and as an interruption to my studying, my family and I stayed in Manchester for a night. Our floor of the hotel was called ‘The Smiths’ and opposite was ‘Joy Division’ which had to be a good omen.
A blurry lift selfie with the 'rents

After milling around Manchester city centre on Thursday afternoon and acquiring a new pair of black Topshop joni jeans, we got ready at the hotel and then made our way to San Carlo’s for dinner (involving many family selfies in the lift down in the hotel). Owing to the heavenly food, I loved San Carlo’s so much I had lipstick all over my face by the end of the meal (I am ashamed to say).

H and I shared the battered prawns, scallops and calamari for starter. I totally took advantage of my sister by eating way more than my share (at her birthday meal - sorry, not sorry, sis). For main I had the pizza San Carlo: parma ham, buffalo mozzarella, tomato, rocket and parmesan shaving, which was equally delicious. Unfortunately, as I had filled up on the starter, I could barely get halfway through the pizza. However it was still lovely and in my father’s words: “the perfect fusion of flavours with the pink and yellow stuff.” Well done Will, it’s called cheese and ham. I was on lent when we were given our dessert menus which meant I could not have a pudding and I had to sit for the last course, surrounded by tiramisu and crème brûlée, and keep my spoon to myself whilst inwardly crying in pain. I would definitely return to San Carlo’s, that crème brûlée has my name all over it.
 
Friday's barmy breakfast
The café


The highlight of the stay: I am very pleased to announce that I have had my first ever barm! On Friday morning, we found a cute café (which I cannot remember the name of) for breakfast in the city centre and I ordered the bacon  sarnie (despite it being Good Friday – whoopsies?). As I live so near Manchester it is strange that I have never come across “bacon barm” on a menu before. Of course, I had heard that people called them barms but I had never witnessed it first-hand. One of the greatest British conflicts: is the classic teacake bread a barm, a bap, a bun, or a butty? Personally, it’s a butty for me but I like to mix it up now and again and ask for a bun or a bap, just to introduce some spice into my breakfast ordering. It was a big moment for me, as I am rather the bread enthusiast, to ask for a “barm” for once and so that is officially the highlight of my holidays.

L





No comments:

Post a Comment