https://twitter.com/lydiaintraining       Instagram      Pinterest      Google+      Email






Friday 4 April 2014

March Memory: Haim


Haim

It has just turned April (in case you live in a cave far, far away from civilisation yet still have Wi-Fi) so I thought I would share the highlight of March for me.

With Em, Niamh and some cash for a Costa, I hopped on a train to Sheffield to see one of my current favourite bands. I first discovered Haim when reading an article on the ‘ASOS Fashion Up’ app and, after seeing the 'Forever' music video on YouTube, I never looked back. A year later I was stood in Sheffield O2 Academy. It was hot, it was loud, it was a very long wait and the person behind me was stood so close that she accidentally ate my hair, but it was worth it.


Broods
After various conversations about rock climbing, college and resolving to go to more gigs, the supporting act finally came on stage. They were from New Zealand and their name was Broods, they told us. Pretty good - a good way to kick it off – I thought they were, and I have since started listening to their stuff on YouTube (check it out) but in all honesty, I couldn’t hear them too well due to a chatty crowd.

Luckily it was impossible to not hear when Haim came on.

Explosions of light and sound signalled their arrival on stage. The sisters’ set list included: Running if You Call My Name, Don’t Save Me, Honey and I and – my favourite – My Song 5. There was unexpected rapping from Este, enthusiastic drumming from Alana and epic guitar solos from Danielle. I don’t use the word ‘epic’ often (I worry that it sounds cliché), so when I say it, I mean it. And she also killed it on the drums.

THEY EVEN PLAYED BEYONCÉ. Unfortunately, they chose a Beyoncé song I’m not a fan of. XO. I love Beyoncé, I think she is fabulous, but 'XO' just isn't 'Drunk in Love'. Fortunately, it is amazing live and so was Haim's cover.

It was a good night. We walked away with ringing ears and a growing envy of Alana Haim’s legs and I was tired in my college interview the next day but it was worth it.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment